Sunday in Cupar

I suppose it's an American thing to do leisurely Sunday gatherings too, but it's truly become part of our lives since moving to Edinburgh. Uni keeps me extremely busy, but I usually try to give myself one play-day per weekend, so I really value these gatherings.
     Karin's (Romania) and Antti's (Finland) flat was a warm and happy place, filled with treasures, where we all relaxed.

Here is our lovely hostess, Karin (photo by Nadee).

Catherine (Chile), Me (US), Antti and Karin.

Nadee (Thailand) and Antti.

Stan (US).

Boris (Taiwan) and his adorable new wife, Vicki (Taiwan).
Remember I said Boris saw seals on his trip up? He had to show us what they looked like, striking a pose in stripey socks.

Then the food came out - oh my! Antti spent two days cooking.

The centerpiece was lamb stew (called Sultan's Delight) served over mashed aubergines (eggplant), surrounded by tabouli, tadziki sauce, a roasted red pepper dip, a greens and garbanzo beans dish (which I also need to get the recipe for), and hearty bread. You'll also notice Nadee's spring rolls. (She created a cookbook last year for her MFA1, so we were dying to try some of her creations.)
And Vicki brought mushrooms all the way from Taiwan to add to noodles.
OMG - YUM!!! We ate SO MUCH!!!!
     The reason I mention everybody's home countries (including ours - the US) is because we counted up, and between us and the dishes, we had no less than 17 nationalities represented. I absolutely adore how international our lives have become here! It's such an easy and comfortable thing that I wish more people in the world would get to experience.
When it was finally time to leave, we all meandered slowly to the train station, taking some last group shots.

We got silly waiting for the train as we realized how many of us wore glasses. We traded them all around to compare how blind we were.
But really, when you see the world through other people's eyes, you are anything but blind. We are all just people, and we are friends.

No comments: